Advertisement

Live Art Critique, Acrylic Portrait Painting & Brush Pen Drawing

Live Art Critique, Acrylic Portrait Painting & Brush Pen Drawing

Art Prof Teaching Artist Casey Roonan critiques an acrylic painting titled "Rain," by artist Chana, as well as a brush pen drawing by Diana Chan. Casey discusses what aspects of the artworks are working well, and offers suggestions for ways to improve the piece and progress forward with future artworks. Artists and artworks mentioned in the critique are the Fauvists (including Henri Matisse, Andre Derain, Maurice de Vlaminck), Edward Kinsella, Ralph Steadman, ink drawings by Vincent Van Gogh, Berni Wrightson and Matt Leines.

SUBMIT FOR A LIVE CRITIQUE


RELATED TUTORIALS
Intro to Acrylic Painting:
Self-Portrait in Crayon:
Marker Drawing Techniques:
Ink Drawing Techniques:

SUBSCRIBE


SUPPORT ART PROF
Our Patreon has rewards that give you access to exclusive content!


EMAIL LIST


CONNECT WITH US





TA CASEY'S BIO PAGE


ARTIST STATEMENT, Chana
“I just recently started to get into painting, and have really enjoyed the way it allows me to use color. With this painting I wanted to explore the different variations in skin tone, as well as challenge myself by painting on a rough wooden surface.

Canvas is expensive for me, so I was excited when I found this wooden slab tossed away in my back alley. I titled the piece ‘Rain’ because of the effect of the wood, as well as the reminiscent quality of the woman.”

ARTIST STATEMENT, Diana Chan
"I'm an office worker in the accounting industry. I've been drawing for a long time, but it's always been just as a hobby. My main art form had always been comics, until I saw a short video of Pablo Picasso painting. It felt like he was just going along the flow of the brush, and I wanted to do that myself - to draw without purpose and go along the flow.

A friend would often paint / draw with black ink in his sketchbook, so I felt inspired to do the same. Since it was convenient to bring it around, I would often dab at it while having to wait. Since then, more than a few pages of painting took form over a year or two, and it felt like I could seriously explore this other avenue of art.

Like many of the paintings I've done, they tend to start without a particular purpose, although most of them would start from the middle, and spread outward. When this painting was completed, I felt compelled to call it "Mitochondria" - likely due to it being the only biological term that I remembered from my secondary school days. I suppose it does have the impression of focused energy.”

is not supported, sponsored, or endorsed by RISD.

Drawing

Post a Comment

0 Comments