Advertisement

LEARN HOW TO USE PRETEND AND INTEND

LEARN HOW TO USE PRETEND AND INTEND

Fluency in English, as well as in any other language requires us to have a huge word bank or lexicon. But effective communication happens when we use the right words at the right time and for the right purpose. In this video I will discuss how to use PRETEND AND INTEND.
INTRO
Hi and welcome, my name is sampson and this is engwitsam.
Many of us use these two words incorrectly for many reasons. One reason that stands out, especial among Portuguese speaking students, is because of a word that sounds almost like PRETEND, but means INTEND when translated to the English language.
This is why we hear students say things like:
I pretend to study English next week.
Instead of,
I intend to study English next week.
To intend is to plan to do something. It is used to express plans you have for the future or things want to achieve.
I intend to study English everyday in the next month.
I intend to do my homework as soon as I get home.
It's wrong to say:
I Pretend to study English every day in the next week.
When you pretend who act as if some is true even when you know it's not. You behave like something or someone you are not.
The man pretends to be a teacher
The woman pretended to be a lawyer.
Don't forget to do the test at the end of the video. And follow the links provided to view our other videos.
Thanks for the support and for all you do.

pretend,intend,PRETEND AND INTEND,engwitsam,ingles,english,english grammar,confused words,Engwitsam,Eng,To pretend,To intend,Intended,Pretended,

Post a Comment

0 Comments